Solar Customer Service SpecialistFire Mountain Solar
Fire Mountain Solar LLC (FMS) is looking for a caring, energetic, loyal, and intelligent person to join our company in a very important role – providing world-class service to our clients as our Solar Customer Service Specialist.
Maybe this person is you.
FMS is one of the oldest leading solar energy companies in Washington state. Since 2001, we have been providing full-service grid tie and off grid solar and alternative power system solutions for clients throughout Washington state, and also consulting, design, technical support and products to do it yourself clients across the US, Canada, and beyond.
Feel free to browse our website for more about who we are and what we do.
Our clients and team members mean the world to us, which is why we need a dedicated team member who is both a customer service “superhero”, and who has the aptitude, interest and background needed to provide administrative and technical support to our clients and exceptional team. In this role you will work one-on-one with our clients to answer questions, proactively solve problems, and do everything possible to help them have a fantastic experience with FMS. S/he will answer phones, prepare detailed quotes, process orders, and a wide variety of tasks to assist our clients, potential clients, and dedicated team.
What Specific Superpowers are We Looking For?
- You’re naturally a “people person”. You love dealing with and interacting with all kinds of people. You come across as sincere, warm and genuine. This isn’t just about helping customers – it’s about making a difference and taking care of others. That may sound corny or an exaggeration but it’s 100% true. We want someone who deeply agrees with our values and recognizes the importance of their role in what we do as a company.
- You like working collaboratively as part of a tight-knit, fun and very busy team that works together so everyone is successful.
- You’re proactive and self-reliant. You are outstanding at following directions but also can think on your own, figure things out, and fill in the blanks when they’re missing. You don’t need super-specific details for every single little thing or need a lot of hand-holding or micromanaging.
- You’re emotionally mature. You don’t get frazzled, defensive, easily overwhelmed, or take it personally when faced with adversity, deadlines, or conflict, and can maintain a cool head and help others when they’re experiencing them.
- You’re an action taker and a strong finisher. You’re a self-starter and great at following-up and following-through to the very end of a project or task without needing someone to check in, micromanage, or look over your shoulder.
- You’re conscientious and detail-oriented. You take great pride in your work and want things done right. You appreciate the details and process and you don’t cut corners to sacrifice quality. You’ve probably already found spelling or grammar errors in this posting.
- You’re a “can do” problem solver and love helping others. You’re great at getting out in front of problems and enjoy proactively helping customers and co-workers with issues and challenges whenever (or ideally before) they arise.
Still with me? Wonderful…there’s still a bit more. In addition to everything listed above (because that wasn’t enough right?), you should also…
- Be fairly tech savvy with computers, the internet, and using software in general. We’re not expecting you to be a developer or programmer, but you should be pretty good with Excel, Word, Google Docs, and be a wizard at finding answers online. Knowledge of Sketchup would make us very, very excited.
- Have a proven ability to professionally answer phones and work in an office environment.
- Have experience in a customer facing service position with a proven track record of extremely satisfied customers.
- Have super-high integrity and a track-record of being honest, dedicated, and loyal.
- Be extremely organized and pay close attention to small details. We have to make sure things don’t fall through the cracks due to neglect or disorganization.
- You’re an excellent writer and use proper grammar. You can communicate well.
- Be flexible, able to adapt, and learn new things quickly. We are constantly evolving, improving, and finding better ways to do things. We need someone who can keep up and embrace change (or even help initiate change).
- Be responsive, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Have great interpersonal skills and a knack for making people feel understood, listened to, and cared for.
What Will You Be Doing?
Your position is two-fold in terms of its responsibilities.
The first part of the role will be client facing. You will be working regularly with our clients to make sure that their experience with FMS is nothing less than world class. You’ll be answering questions, solving problems, and helping create over-the-top satisfied clients.
Some of the customer service duties will be “reactive” where you might be responding to emails and phone calls and providing product quotes. Others will be “proactive”, like assisting our exceptional DIY and full-service design and sales teams with proposals, shipping products, following up with order information, and updating price lists. Since in this role you will have significant contact and frequent ongoing communication with our clients, it is crucial that you leave a phenomenal “Wow!” impression at every single encounter.
The second part of this position is a more technical customer service role. You will be doing detailed and thorough intake on new quote and design requests, learning about new products so you can effectively educate clients and recommend products, assembling cables and packaging components for orders, ordering products from vendors, and many other critically important customer service tasks.
- Present a warm, friendly and professional image at all times to customers and vendors.
- Professionally answer telephone, screen and direct calls to appropriate team member.
- Perform detailed, accurate and thorough intake on DIY sales inquiries – determine customer requirements and expectations in order to recommend the best products and solutions to meet their goals.
- Effectively educate customers about terminology, features and benefits of products.
- Proactively recommend items needed by customers to increase customer satisfaction.
- Prepare and present quotes.
- Set up and maintain customer records.
- Accurately process customer transactions such as orders or returns.
- Provide product and technical information in a timely manner.
- Monitor scheduled shipment dates to ensure timely delivery and expedite as needed.
- Provide exceptional levels of communication during all aspects of the lead, sales and post sales process – we never want a client to have to call us in order to know where their quote or order is.
- Contact customers following sales to ensure ongoing customer satisfaction and resolve any complaints.
- Remain current on products and solutions by attending sales meetings, vendor training and trade shows, or reading trade journals.
- Manage time effectively, meet personal goals and work effectively with other members of the team.
- Follow company policies and procedures
- Assist other members of the sales and design team to provide exceptional service and maintain rapid response times with leads and clients.
- Help maintain up-to-date and accurate internal price and product lists.
- Prepare stock items for shipment to customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong background in customer facing service position, with demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Experience answering telephones in a professional customer service environment.
- Experience working in an office environment.
- Effective listening, communication (verbal and written), negotiation and good phone skills.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Technical expertise and knowledge of industry products.
- Problem-solving and analytical ability.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Comfortable in fast-paced environment.
- Superior organizational skills
- Professional but warm and friendly demeanor.
- Effective time management and ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to perform basic math accurately.
- Team player who works collaboratively with wide range of people.
- Ability to work independently with some direction.
- Capable of following written instructions and documented procedures.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of effective selling strategies and techniques.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, knowledge of Quickbooks and SketchUp a plus.
- Education: High school diploma/GED required.
- Electrical and/or renewable energy industry experience preferred.
- Ability to understand technical aspects of electrical systems and renewable energy concepts required.
- Exceptional ability to explain complex concepts in layperson language required.
- Strong passion for technical aspects of renewable energy required.
- PV system design experience a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with off grid solar systems a big plus!
- Bilingual English/Spanish will be given preference.
If doing things like calculating electrical loads and sizing power systems, compiling detailed component lists for quotes, creating single line drawings, helping clients program their monitoring system, and providing technical support to assist our advanced design and technical support team sounds exciting to you, this position may provide the significant growth opportunity you’ve been looking for – into a highly technical position on our design and technical support team, or as a future Project Manager.
Hours and Pay
This position is full time 40 hours per week, Mon-Fri, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, at our office near Big Lake (southeast of Mount Vernon). Potential to work remotely 2-3 days per week after successful completion of training and demonstration of ability to be productive without supervision (typically 3-6 months after starting). Salary depends on awesomeness and experience and starts in the $18-$22/hr range, and includes a health insurance stipend, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO). For candidates with a higher level of technical knowledge and expertise, an increased compensation package will be considered.
Who Shouldn’t Apply
Kryptonite deal-breakers for are things like:
- Having a “downer” attitude.
- Feeling entitled.
- Being intolerant, judgmental, or impatient with others.
- Gossiping, arrogance, dishonesty, laziness, and/or questionable integrity.
- Not accepting responsibility for your own actions.
- You’re only looking for a paycheck and not a purpose.
We love to have fun at FMS. We also believe in and live what we sell. We work hard, play hard, care about each other and live by a set of values and standards that makes our company a fantastic place to learn, grow, contribute, and find fulfillment.
If this all sounds good, then take the next step and apply. If not, no hard feelings at all. We realize this position is only for the right person.
Here’s How to Apply
Write us a cover letter addressing all the following:
- Why you think you’re the person for this position. If you don’t have all of the relevant experience or skills, then tell us what makes you think you’d be great at this?
- What would this position have to pay to make it worth your while? Why?
- Describe your current or most recent position – what did you do and what did you like and not like?
- If you don’t have a job, explain why. If you do have one, explain why you’re looking elsewhere.
- What’s the hardest you’ve ever worked on something in your life? What was the result?
- What do you do for fun?
Send both the cover letter and your resume to JoinOurTeam(at)fmsolar.com. Oh…and when you send the email, please include a cute smiley face in the subject line of your email, like this : -) This is your first test to see if you are good at following simple directions, pay attention to details, and whether or not you even read this entire posting.
(Yes, there are some hoops to jump through for the application process. But we only want the right people on our team because this team is going very cool places. We hope you can understand.)
We look forward to hearing from you!